Download a PDF copy of my CV: gitlab.com/VickySteeves/cv/blob/master/original/vicky-cv.pdf
Data management, reproducibility, labour theory, digital preservation, digital archiving, database management, web development, animal care, music, and creative writing.
- Platforms: Microsoft Windows and Ubuntu Linux
- Library Standards: MARC, Dublin Core, DACS, EAD, and RDF
New York University New York, NY, USA
Master of Computer Science Expected 2022
Simmons College Boston, MA, USA
Master of Library and Information Science August 2014
Small World Project. Research done accompanying Dr. Kathy Wisser, March-June 2014. I provided software analysis using Gephi, a data visualization software, on researchers' social network analysis of historical relationships between literary figures.
Bachelor of Science in Computer Science and Information Technology May 2013
Honours Thesis: Computational Linguistic Approach to Inflection in Human Speech and Difference in Meaning
Study Abroad: Celtic Studies, University College Cork, Cork, Ireland, Summer 2012
- "A Computational Linguistics Approach to Inflection and Difference in Meaning". Research completed accompanying Dr. Nanette Veilleux, August 2012-August 2013.
- "No Place To Go: A Discussion on LGBTQ Youth Homelessness in Boston" Research completed as a part of the Simmons World Challenge, January 2011
- Honours Program: Participant 2010-2013
- CS-Math Liaison: President 2012-2013; Treasurer 2011-2012
- Simmons College LGBTQA Alliance: President 2012-2013; Treasurer 2011-2012; Political Activism Chair 2010-2011
- Simmons College SciFi and Fantasy Club: Founder and Participant 2010-2013
- Simmons World Challenge: Participant January 2012
Honours and Achievements:
- College of Arts and Sciences Dean's Fellow Award; 2013-2014
- The Computer Science Award, given for academic excellence in comp sci; 2013
- Collaborative Research Experience for Undergraduates, $15,000 research grant, given to encourage women in the STEM fields to complete research studies in their field, 2012-2013
- Alumnae Endowed Scholarship; 2012-2013
- Simmons College Grant, given to aid in research costs for field research; 2012-2013
- Bowker Award for Travel, given to undergraduates who demonstrate academic excellence while completing studies abroad; Summer 2012
- Independant Order of Oddfellows Scholarship, 2010-2013
- President Merit Scholarship, given to students whose academic achievement and personal qualities indicate they will perform to the highest academic level, 2010-2013
- Simmons College 3-1 Program, where students complete an undergraduate degree in three years and a master's degree in one year, first participant; 2010-present
- Simmons College Dean's List, 2010-2013
- United Pilgrimage for Youth, sponsored participant; Summer 2009
- Fall 2018 - present
- Teach LIS 628: Data Librarianship & Management for the School of Information Science
Librarian for Research Data Management and Reproducibility
New York University
- August 2015-present
- Dual appointment between NYU Division of Libraries and NYU Center for Data Science
- Provide instructional and consultation services in RDM and reproducibility to faculty and advanced students
- Advise researchers on how to meet the data management and open data requirements of publishers and federal funding agencies
- Moore/Sloan Data Science Environment team member; Reproducibility Working Group member and Libraries Working Group member
- Assist in efforts to design a data repository and storage infrastructure for researchers at the University.
- 2017 - 2018
- Taught database management online for the School of Information and Library Science. Fall 2017 & Spring 2018
Interim Program Coordinator Metropolitan New York Library Council
- June 2015-July 2015; December 2015-May 2016
- Day-to-day coordinator of METRO’s National Digital Stewardship Residency in New York (NDSR-NY) program
- Contribute to project planning, communications, documentation, evaluations, outreach, and help maintain the program’s web presence and online platforms.
- Plan, organize, and help run NDSR-affiliated events, meetings, and workshops.
- Serve as a representative and contact for NDSR-NY program in collaboration with host institutions, NDSR residents and Library of Congress and NDSR-Boston program staff.
National Digital Stewardship Resident American Museum of Natural History
- September 2014-May 2015
- See my NDSR application video here!
- Survey the Science divisions to better understand their data storage, curation, and preservation needs.
- Identify existing practices and policies for integrated data storage, access, and management.
- Recommend strategies to digitally preserve the scientific research at the AMNH.
Archives Intern Sasaki Associates
- January 2014-April 2014
- Process historical architectural material and write the accompanying finding aid.
- Create records for each collection processed and catalogue them in Koha ILS.
Dean's Fellow for Technology Simmons College
- September 2013-June 2014
- Manage social media technology for undergraduate science departments.
- Generate interest in STEM at Simmons through social media outreach to alumnae, current students, and prospective students, through working on content creation with faculty.
Technical Resource Assistant Simmons College
- September 2013-June 2014
- Provide technical instruction to students, staff, and faculty at the Graduate School of Library and Information Science (GSLIS).
- Troubleshoot hard/software issues within GSLIS for students, staff, and faculty.
Contracted Web Developer IES Technical Sales
- May 2013-September 2013
- Update the company website, developing and implementing design and operational upgrades.
- Assess and adapt to changing client needs through the development and deployment phase.
Tutor in Computer Science Simmons College
- September 2012-2013
- Provide one-on-one tutoring for students in computer science classes.
- Lead group study sessions for upcoming evaluations, tests, and projects.
Campus Representative Tutors For All
- January 2012-May 2012
- Enhance Tutors for All's social media pages through graphic design work and constant updating.
- Generate new leads among college campus populations through social media outreach.
Teacher's Assistant in Computer Science Simmons College
- Create classwork, homework, and quizzes for students to complete.
- Grade students' work and report these grades to the instructor.
Lab Monitor for Computer Science Laboratory Simmons College
- Assist students with troubleshooting soft/hardware issues.
- Repair and maintain computers in the computer science laboratory.
Server Not Your Average Joe's
- May 2011-August 2014
- Communicate positively and effectively with guests and coworkers.
- Assimilate guest information rapidly while anticipating guests' needs.
Lead Tutor Tutors For All
- September 2010-May 2011
- Mentor and lead a group of tutors, including reviewing and editing their lesson plans and progress reports.
- Evaluate student performance with progress reports and communicate that progress to their guardians.
Choreographer Cape Ann Community Theatre
- March 2010-June 2010
- Choreograph dance routines for the musical "How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying."
- Teach these routines to performers and provide dance direction throughout rehearsal process.
Page/Librarian's Assistant Hamilton-Wenham Regional Public Library
- September 2009- August 2010
- Re-shelve library materials after patrons have returned them.
- Remain flexible and assist librarians in their various projects around the library.
Instructor & Camp Counselor Safe Harbor Tang Soo Do
- May 2005-September 2009
- Teach a one-hour martial arts class for students ages 4-13, of all ranks, every morning.
- Lead the students in activities daily including arts and crafts, athletic activities, and many others.
- Rampin R., Chirigati, F., Steeves, V., Freire, J. (2018, August 4) "ReproServer: Making Reproducibility Easier and Less Intensive". ArXiv: 1808.01406 [Cs].
- Steeves, V., Chirigati, F., Rampin R. (2017) "Using ReproZip for Reproducibility and Library Services".IASSIST Quarterly 42, no. 1 (2018): 14–14. Pre-print available on the LIS Scholarship Archive.
- Steeves, V. (2017) "Reproducibility Librarianship", Collaborative Librarianship: Vol. 9 : Iss. 2 , Article 4.
- Rampin, R., Chirigati, F., Shasha, D., Steeves, V., Freire, J. (2016, December 1) "ReproZip: The Reproducibility Packer", The Journal of Open Source Software. 1.8.
- Blumenthal, K.-R., Griesinger, P., Julia, Peltzman, S., & Steeves, V. (2016, October 6) "What makes a digital steward: A competency profile based on the National Digital Stewardship Residencies", iPres 2016: The 13th International Conference on Digital Preservation. Bern, Switzerland.
- Wolke, Andreas, Martin Bichler, Fernando Chirigati, and Victoria Steeves. "Reproducible Experiments on Dynamic Resource Allocation in Cloud Data Centers," Information Systems 59 (July 2016): 98–101. doi: 10.1016/j.is.2015.12.004. ArXiv: 1703.00042 [cs.DC]
- Partners in Reproducibility: Working with Researchers and Data Producers to Enhance Sharing, Reproducibility, and Long-term Access to Research Data. Muilenburg Jennifer & Steeves, Vicky & Zhao, Shirley & McDougall, Janet. (2019, May). IASSIST 2019.
- Reproducibility, Preservation, and Access to Research with ReproZip and ReproServer. Steeves, Vicky & Rampin, R.. (2019, May). IASSIST 2019.
- Qualitative Research Using Open Tools. Duckles, Beth M. & Steeves, Vicky. (2019, May). csv,conf,v4.
- The Role of Libraries in the Age of Computational Reproducibility. Steeves, Vicky, & Hayden, Gabriele. (2019, May). csv,conf,v4.
- Taguette: Open Qualitative Research. Steeves, Vicky & DeMott, Sarah. (2019, February). Workshop for Seton Hall University.
- Advocating for Open: Putting Ethics Into Practice. Marshall, Brianna & Steeves, Vicky & Vandegift, Micah. (2019, April). ACRL 2019. Cleveland, OH.
- Reproducibility Librarianship in Practice. Steeves, Vicky. (2018, December). Webinar for LIBER.
- ReproServer: Making Reproducibility Easier and Less Intrusive. Steeves, V. & Rampin, R., Chirigati, F. & Freire, J. October 2018. Moore-Sloan Data Science Environment. Park City, Utah.
- Best practices for reproducible research. Steeves, V. October 2018. Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics. Cambride, Massachusetts.
- Reproducing & Archiving Scholarship with ReproZip. Steeves, V. PresQT. September 2018. Notre Dame University. South Bend, Indiana.
- Research with Interviews. Steeves, V. NDSR Art Immersion Week. July 2018. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Reproducibility Short Course. Steeves, V. Building Research Integrity through Reproducibility. June 2018. University of Utah Eccles Health Sciences Library. Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Writing reprocible geoscience papers using R Markdown, Docker, and GitLab, Steeves, V., Nüst, D., Rampin, R., Konkol, M. & Pebesma, E. European Geosciences Union General Assembly 2018. April 2018. Vienna, Austria.
- Data Management & Reproducibility, Steeves, V. L'Unité Régionale de Formation à l'Information Scientifique et Technique (Urfist). December 2017. Nice, France.
- Creating Reproducible Experiments with ReproZip, Steeves, V. & Rampin, R., Chirigati, F. SciPy 2017, July 2017. Austin, Texas.
- Open, Public Goods Infrastructure for Research Management & Discovery, Spitzer, M., Steeves, V., & Hudson-Vitale, C., IASSIST 2017, May 2017. Kansas City, Kansas.
- Reproducing and Preserving Research with ReproZip, Steeves, V., & Rampin, R., IASSIST 2017, May 2017. Kansas City, Kansas.
- ReproZip for Reproducible Research, Steeves, V., & Rampin, R., PresQT Workshop One, May 2017. Notre Dame University. Additional Roles:
- Invited Panelist
- Lead 2 breakout sessions focusing on reproducing workshop participants' work with ReproZip
- Reproducible computational research in the publication cycle, Steeves, V., Rampin, R., & Nüst, D, European Geosciences Union General Assembly 2017, April 2017. Vienna, Austria.
- Panel Presentation: Reproducibility: the What, Why, & How in 'Open Science: Understanding Modern Research Practices.' Vicky Steeves, Robin Champieux, Jeff Leek, Brett Davidson, Eka Grguric. Association of Research and College Libraries Conference, March 25, 2017. Balitmore, Maryland.
- "Using Openness as Foundation for Research Data Management Services". Wolf, N., & Steeves, V., Library and Information Technology Association Forum, November 2016. Fort Worth, Texas.
- ReproZip: Reproducibility with Ease", Steeves, V. & Rampin, R., DASPOS: Container Strategies for Data & Software Preservation that Promote Open Science, May 2016. Notre Dame University. Additional Roles:
- Invited Panelist
- Lead 3 breakout sessions focusing on reproducing workshop participants' work with ReproZip
- "Collaborating to Create a Culture of Data Stewardship" Poster presented with Andrew S. Gordon (Databrary) and Kevin B. Read (NYU Health Science Library), at the Research Data Access and Preservation Summit 2016
- "Bridging the Gap: Improving Data Services through Cross-Campus Collaboration" (2016). Poster presented with Andrew S. Gordon (Databrary) and Kevin B. Read (NYU Health Science Library), 2016 University of Massachusetts and New England Area Librarian e-Science Symposium.
- Steeves, V., Muilenburg, J., & Mitchell, E. (2015, December 14) "Organizational Implications of Data Science Environments in Education, Research, and Research Management in Libraries". Coalition of Networked Information Fall Meeting. Washington D.C., USA. Video
- Preserving Scientific Research Data at the American Museum of Natural History, MAS Newsletter, August 2015
- "Managing and Preservation Data Sets” METRO Webinar, July 2015
- "Panel Discussion with the National Digital Stewardship NY Residents” ARLIS/NY Meeting, March 2015
- "The Next Generation of Digital Stewards: the NDSR Program” Mid-Atlantic Regional Archives & New England Archivists Conference, March 2015
- "NDSR-NY Notes from the Field: Preserving Scientific Data at the American Museum of Natural History” Preservation and Archiving Special Interest Group Meeting, March 2015
- "The Next Frontier of Stewardship: the Value of Field Books in a Digital Age” Fieldbook Project Blog, National Museum of Natural History, February 2015
- "Scientific Data: A Needs Assessment Journey” American Library Association Mid-Winter Conference, January 2015
- "NDSR-NY Panel Discussion” METRO 2015 Annual Conference, January 2015
- "The Value of the NDSR: Residents and Mentors Weigh In” The SIGNAL Blog, Library of Congress, November 2015
- 2014-2015 NDSR-NY Resident's Blog, Contributor, September 2014-June 2015
- "A Computational Linguistic Approach to Inflection in Human Speech and Difference in Meaning” Simmons College Undergraduate Conference, April 2013
- "A Computational Linguistic Approach to Inflection in Human Speech and Difference in Meaning” Richard Tapia Celebration of Diversity in Computing Conference, February 2013
- "No Place To Go: A Discussion on LGBTQ Youth Homeless in Boston” Simmons College Undergraduate Conference, April 2012
- "The Harm (or lack thereof) of Marijuana” Simmons College Undergraduate Conference, April 2011
- Project Preview: "Weaving Digital Stewardship into the Organizational Fabric", a contribution to the DPC blog.
- Taguette, open source qualitative research tool. [source]
- Investigating & Archiving the Scholarly Git Experience: a Alfred P. Sloan Foundation funded project.
- Pratt Institute Fall 2018 LIS 628 class materials. [source code]
- Saving Data Journalism: an IMLS funded project to build prototype to enable systematic collection & preservation of dynamic websites.
- ReproCrawl: a search engine for materials about reproducibility. [source]
- Data Librarianship: A Path and an Ethic | A conversation between Thomas Padilla and Vicky Steeves | dh + lib
- Guest blog post on GitLab and reproducibility
- Simmons SLIS Interview
- Created a database of women working in openness [source]
- Open Source Contributions
- Collaborated with Rémi Rampin to create a Reproducibility RSS feed to publish, in a single place, news, resources, and other links surrounding reproducibility, replication, and good and open science. Wrote a Twitter bot @ReproFeed to automatically tweet out RSS feed as it updates.
- Ongoing collaborations with the Center for Open Science: Serve as an Open Science Framework Ambassador, Participant in the 2016 SHARE Curation Associates program.
- Participant in the 2016 eDLF Data Management Cohort.
- Created and currently maintain a soft incentives program to encourage RDM amongst library patrons, called the Research Data Management Badges, where patrons can accrue points through attending Data Services classes, practicing good data management, and making their research open access to earn a badge.
- Redeveloped and currently maintain the new Data Services blog, Data Dispatch, through piloting a new web hosting service for the Digital Scholarship Services called reClaim.
- Organized the NYU Reproducibility Symposium, a showcase of tools to help make the reproducibility process easy. There were also keynotes and lightning talks on case studies showing how creating reproducible experiments has helped other research groups. May 2016.
- Created and currently maintain reproduciblescience.org, a source of information for the general community on resources, news, and tools for reproducibility. Created and currently maintain reproduciblescience.org/nyu, a source of information for the NYU community on events, resources, and expertise on campus for reproducibility.
- Planned and executed "Love Your Data Week 2016" at New York University with Nick Wolf, Kevin B. Read, and Alisa Surkis.